Saturday, March 24, 2012

2 Years

Yesterday marked 2 years that my Granny's been home with the Lord. I spent the day reminiscing on special times with her and found it harder to remember everything. So I decided to write down my favorites.


  • Vaca's to the mountains and Florida. I don't remember most of these because they were when I was real young, but I will never forget getting Granny on a white water rafting adventure. She had a blast though she'd never admit to it :)
  • Spending spring breaks at her house and planning menus for the week. We always came back heavier than when we went. Sunday nights were popcorn nights and Friday nights were Pizza Hut nights! And one day of the week, we went to Duke's!
  • Having her at our house when Mom and Dad went on vacations. She even cooked breakfast and dinner for Willie, the dog! And she's not a dog person. 
  • Talking to her about all my mission trips and how the Lord worked through them. She always listened and supported me prayerfully and financially.
  • One time, she kept getting mad that us kids kept farting in the car, so I rolled down the window while she was driving and stuck my butt out to fart, and instead of scolding, she busted out laughing!!!!!
  • Being with her when she hit her first and only deer! She was in her 60s! What a feat!!
  • Picking strawberries and getting peanuts from the peanut farm to bring home and boil
  • Riding golf-carts and four wheelers around her house
  • Once a younger cousin broke his ankle in a golf-cart accident and an older cousin told me I had a cold heart because I didn't cry, and Granny said my heart was just fine, just maybe not as sensitive and the world needed people like me :) 
  • Licking the bowl after she make any kind of cake or icing, and having to compete with the other grands for the bowl, beaters, or spoon. Somehow Granny always made it fair. 
  • Granny stayed at my house the week before high school graduation and listened to all my concern about being valedictorian because it was a close race. She was putting clothes in the washer when I got the call that I was, and we were both in tears with excitement. 
  • The year I was on the hospitality team for SummerLINK, I made countless calls to Granny about how to cook things. Lemon Pound Cake and Chicken and Dumplings were just a couple of what she help me pull off. I love being so close to her that summer. I got to go visit a couple times and do laundry and eat and talk!! 
  • Pedicures! Granny always got the Pamela Supreme! Everyone else got leftovers. Ask Olivia :)
  • Granny was the most God-fearing, loving woman I've ever met. When she saw a need she met it. When you needed scolding, she lovingly supplied it. When you needed advice, she gave the best. When you needed a meal, you didn't go hungry! When you did good, you got a firm and heartfelt ALLLLRIGHT!!!
I love you so much Granny! Being in Charleston without you is so hard. There's been many a Friday when I think, O I'm so close now, I'll just go see you for the weekend, then I remember. But I always have you in my heart! Thank you for being a big part of molding me into the person I am today :) 

1 comment:

Natty said...

This made me bawl like a little baby. I'm so glad God let you have an amazing woman like that and I know one day your grandbabies will feel the same about you. :)